‘Where Learning Matters’
Welcome to The Cooper School, where we work within the local community to prepare and motivate all of our students to develop their full potential as individuals and as members of society.
|“The Cooper School is a happy, exciting and supportive environment for personal growth and academic learning. Contacts in class and around school illustrated warmth, humour, time to listen and be interested without limiting purposeful learning. The quality of relationships is fundamental to the school’s ethos. Mutual respect, kindness, tolerance and confidence were woven into the dynamics of the organisation“Inclusion Quality Mark Assessor – May 2014|
A warm welcome to The Cooper School where we aim to provide the highest quality all-round education, for each and every learner, in partnership with parents and the community of Bicester and surrounding villages. We aim to share high aspirations and high expectations as evidenced in our most recent Ofsted Report (May 2013) which stated that:
‘The proportion of students gaining five or more GCSEs at grades A*-C, including English and mathematics, has increased and now exceeds the national average. Across the school, students’ progress is good. Teaching is good and some is outstanding. Lessons are well planned and many include the use of modern technology such as blogs. Students are proud of their school. They show respect to one another and to adults. Students feel safe and their behaviour is outstanding both in lessons and around school.’
We believe that to be an effective learning community:
- all teaching will be inspirational and innovative which is differentiated for all including our most vulnerable learners;
- our curriculum is rooted in 3rd millennium technologies, is rich and relevant to all learners;
- the school works in partnership with other organisations in a true spirit of partnership;
- each student is significant, noticed, valued, respected and cherished;
- every student makes exceptional progress from their starting point as a result of outstanding and inspirational teaching;
- every student has a right to learn in a safe, engaging, nurturing and happy environment;
- every student is an articulate, autonomous but collaborative learner;
- each student is motivated to learn, is inquisitive about the world they live in and curious about their own learning;
- everyone in the school community is a learner who recognises their roles and responsibilities as members of a global society;
- every individual is part of a truly inclusive community that respects the surrounding environment and is committed to making it a better place for future generations.
The improvements in the school over the last few years (with the consequent growth of reputation in the local and wider community) means that the school has grown in popularity to the extent that we are oversubscribed in each and every year group in the school from Years 7 through to 13. We have focused on providing the best educational opportunities for students so that we are a centre of excellence. We want our students at The Cooper School to be stretched and stimulated because of the engaging educational experiences they access on a daily basis with enriched opportunities and challenges, and supported by various adults at the school, materials and resources including the explicit use of new technologies in the learning process.
Ben Baxter. Executive Headteacher